- 1 pkg Cacique Queso Poblano or Monterrey Jack - sliced into 1/2" thick slices
- 1/2 cup Cacique Crema Mexicana or Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Oil - for frying
- 6 poblano chiles - roasted and peeled
- 1 can stewed tomatoes - (large)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 3 eggs - separated
- 1 cup flour - for dredging
- 1 clove garlic - minced
Make a small slit on side of chile and insert cheese slices. Beat egg whites, then add yolks and beat until fluffy. Holding by the stem, carefully pass each chile through flour and then dip completely in the egg batter. Fry in hot oil, turning once, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Chile Relleno Sauce: Sautee garlic and onions with one teaspoon oil until tender. Add oregano and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Let cool slightly then puree in blender. Return to skillet, add Crema Mexicana and heat through. Serve over chiles rellenos.
Recipes courtesy of Cacique USA.