Before the cold weather returns take advantage of the weather and invite your family and friends over for a BBQ. I just served this tomato & sweet corn salad with a menu of barbequed tri-tip, garlic butter prawns, twice-baked potatoes, and spinach salad ending with chocolate-dipped strawberries. Mmm Mmm makes me hungry just thinking about it again!
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (small balls called bocconcini or perlini work best)1/3 cup
- basil-flavored olive oil or extra virgin olive oil or use a vinagerette dressing
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 to 12 ears of sweet corn, husked and silk removed
- 2 to 3 baskets of cherry or grape tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
In a large pot, partially filled with water, bring water to a rolling boil. Add the corn kernels to the boiling water. Bring water back up to a boil; immediately remove from heat and drain corn in a colander in your sink. Run cold water over the corn in the colander to stop the cooking process; drain the corn thoroughly.
Scrape the corn kernels from the ears of corn by using a sharp kitchen knife and a large cutting board. Cut off the stem end to give a flat base. Hold the ear, tip end up, then cut downward, removing a few rows at a time.
In a large bowl, gently combine corn kernels, tomatoes, mozzarella with marinade, and basil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate the salad until approximately ½ hour before serving.
To serve as a first course for your dinner party, spoon salad into wine glasses.
Makes approximately 10 to 12 servings.